Mold is one of the major causes of poor indoor air quality (IAQ) in homes, schools and offices. According to a 1999 study by the Mayo Clinic, nearly 37 million Americans suffer from chronic sinus infections that can be traced directly to molds and other IAQ problems.
Mold occurs naturally in the environment, both indoors and outdoors. Tiny mold spores are traveling through the air at all times. As long as good ventilation is maintained in indoor environments, mold usually isn't a problem. The problem starts when mold spores land indoors on damp surfaces. Then the mold feeds off the surface, creating more spores. Places where water collects, or can leak, such as ceiling tiles, behind shower walls, plasterboard or inside hvac systems, are especially prone to mold growth. If left untreated, a mold can take hold in as little as 24 hours, affecting the health of many of the people who come in contact with it.