The Copper Development Association once again honored the top building projects in North America that feature copper and bronze elements.
The North American Copper in Architecture Awards in a yearly program between CDA and the Canadian Copper and Brass Development Association.
The projects were divided into two categories: restoration and renovation, and new construction. The restoration and renovation winners were:
• The Milwaukee City Hall in Milwaukee. Architect: Engberg Anderson Architects in Milwaukee. Sheet metal contractor: Heather & Little Ltd. in Markham, Ontario.
• Old City Hall in Toronto. Architect: The Ventin Group Architects in Toronto. Sheet metal contractor: Heather & Little Ltd. in Markham, Ontario.
• Coweta County Courthouse in Newnan, Ga. Architect: Lord, Aeck & Sargent Architecture in Atlanta. Sheet metal contractor: Steinrock Roofing & Sheet Metal Inc. in Louisville, Ky.
• Rideau Hall in Ottawa, Ontario. Architect: Robertson Martin Architects Inc. in Ottawa, Ontario.
• Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Charleston, S.C. Architect: Glenn Keyes Architects in Charleston, S.C. Sheet metal contractor: Copper Exclusive of Midvale, Utah
Winners in the new-construction category were:
• Waipolu Gallery and Studio in Oahu, Hawaii. Architect: Bohlin Cywinski Jackson in Seattle. Associate architect: Garduque Architects in Honolulu.
• Mark Olsen Project in Holladay, Utah. Architect: Mark Christian Design in Holladay, Utah. Sheet metal contractor: Copper Exclusive in Midvale, Utah.
• Marcus Nanotechnology Research Center building in Atlanta. Architect: M&W Zander U.S. Operations Inc. in Chicago. Design architect: Bohlin Cywinski Jackson in Philadelphia. Sheet metal contractor: Luvata Buffalo Inc. in Buffalo, N.Y.
• Benning Neighborhood Library in Washington, D.C. Architect: Davis Brody Bond Aedas in New York City. Sheet metal contractor: CHU Contracting Inc. in Chantilly, Va.
• Rose Theatre in Brampton, Ontario. Architect: Page & Steele Architects in Toronto. Sheet metal contractor: Semple Gooder Roofing Corp. in Toronto.
• Private Residence in Edwards, Colo. Architect: Selldorf Architects in Vail, Colo. Sheet metal contractor: Plath Construction in New York City.
• 4143 Buena Vista Townhomes in Dallas. Architect: Ron Wommack Architect in Dallas. Sheet metal contractor: Beech Street Metal in Dallas.
The projects were judged by a panel of architecture and copper industry experts, and the judging was based on overall building design, integration of copper systems, craft of copper installation and excellence in innovation or historic restoration.
“It amazes me every year when we receive so many submissions from all over,” said CDA’s building and construction vice president, Andy Kireta Jr. “Even when the economy is still trying to recover, there are new projects being built that really put copper in the spotlight. It shows that you can’t always put a price tag on quality.”
The architects and contractors will receive commemorative plaques with pictures of their projects etched into the awards. All the projects, including photos and architectural profiles are featured on CDA’s website at: www.copper.org/applications/architecture/awards/homepage.htmlwww.coppercanada.ca.
CDA honors top copper projects
September 1, 2010